Server-side word processing is a current trend in business applications. It exposes many advantages over word processing on an end-user's PC.
The main benefits of centralized document creation processes are:
- Ensures consistency of brand messages
- Lower total cost of software ownership and software maintenance
- Entirely separate content and layout information
- Centralize document creation and printing processes
- One common server interface to create documents that can be accessed by several applications
Word Processing Without a View
For applications in which data from disparate data sources (databases, XML, form data) is merged with pre-defined templates, or in which documents are programmatically modified or converted, a server-based application that deploys TX Text Control Server for ASP.NET (incl. Windows Forms) is an ideal choice.
TX Text Control Server for ASP.NET (incl. Windows Forms) contains three different classes that can be used for different purposes. They are all accessible from the main namespace TXTextControl:
1. ServerTextControl is a non-visible component that can be used to create, convert or modify documents server-side without any view. The ServerTextControl can be initialized in Windows Forms, ASP.NET, SOAP or Windows Service applications.
Typically, ServerTextControl is used to merge templates with data from various data sources to create invoices, quotations or any kind of business correspondence.
Word Processing with a View
2. BrowserTextControl is in fact a Windows Forms component that must be created in a User Control (DLL). This DLL can be embedded in ASP.NET WebForms (ASPX).
The BrowserTextControl component offers nearly all features of the normal Windows Forms TextControl, but is destined to web-based applications. It enables developers to provide their end-users a true WYSIWYG word processing interface to modify MS Word, RTF or HTML documents. The documents can be loaded and saved directly from and to the server using .NET Remoting.
3. TextControl is a Windows Forms component for Windows applications with a WYSIWYG word processing interface.
Typical applications are office applications or mail merge applications in which end-users need to modify the document with real view of the resulting document.
Three Components, One Interface
The main advantage of TX Text Control Server for ASP.NET (incl. Windows Forms) is the common interface of all components. Developers just need to learn one interface to know all of them. TX Text Control provides a very structured and easy-to-use class-oriented interface with a steep learning curve.
Developers must only decide which class should be used in the current context.
If you would like to learn more about TX Text Control Server for ASP.NET (incl. Windows Forms) or the current trend in business software to centralize word processing, please do not hesitate to contact our engineers.